Thursday, February 3, 2011

Putting my Heart Into It

For W2R3 I added a little something to the mix.  I took my fancy cycling computer.  In addition to all the regular things a cycling computer does (speed, distance, cadence, etc) my fancy one is also a heart rate monitor with training zones.  It gives you ‘time in zone’ information and can download it all to my PC and other fancy features.  

Just for reference it is also designed to work the other way.  That is, you can prepare a training plan (10 mins in zone 2, 5 mins in zone 4, 1 min in zone 5, etc) and then upload that to the computer and it gives you audible queues to help you keep in the planned heart rate zones while riding)

Anyway, I took it for W2R3 just for the sake of adding some interesting empirical evidence to complement the perceived effort information I was experiencing.

I have begun to write this post without first consulting the recorded data so that I can give my perception first.  I felt I was pacing pretty well for the 90 second run intervals although as I mentioned in What a Difference 90 Seconds Makes I was starting to flag a bit towards the end of the intervals.  This is reflected in my observations of my heart rate during the intervals.  Starting from a base of about 125–130 bpm at the beginning of the interval, my heart rate climbed at a fairly steady rate throughout the interval to peak at 160+ by the end of the interval.  I was increasing the tempo slightly throughout the intervals: 8.8 for 2 intervals; 8.9 for next 2; and 9.0 for last 2).  The last interval I peaked at 167 and its fair to say my perception was that the rate of increase in heart rate was starting to plateau, however it was continuing to rise throughout the entire 90 second of the last interval.

Why is this important?  Well a combination of two facts.  

Firstly for me heart zone 5 (90%-100% of Maximum Heart Rate) begins somewhere in the low 160s.  Using the (quite dodgy) formula of MHR=220-age gives a figure of 180.  This is a rule of thumb of course and the only way to know with any great certainty is to average a number of threshold tests designed specifically for identifying fitness thresholds.   My fancy heart rate monitor has an inbuilt test that predicts MHR based on resting heart rate and that is what is programmed in at the moment.  In any case 167 bpm is almost certainly into zone 5 for me.  Zone 4 is the anaerobic threshold zone, Zone 5 is flat out (and also anaerobic).  It is simply not possible to sustain extended periods in Z5. Part of the reason is that this zone is also beyond the lactate threshold whereby lactic acid clearance rates from the muscles cannot keep up with the amount of lactic acid being generated.

Secondly, W3 runs herald a significant challenge in that the longest running intervals jump from 1½ minutes to 3 minute intervals.  This means that I could be up in anaerobic zones for the best part of 3 minutes, and if I have a relatively accurate MHR figure, then in Z5 for up to 2 minutes.  This might not be physically possible for a fellow of my dubious fitness.

Knowledge is power, I need a plan.

For W3R1 I will wind the speed of the 3 minute intervals back to say 8.5 for the first 3 minute interval so I can make an assessment about where I can expect my HR to plateau for that particular pace.  Maybe if I can get my HR to plateau out at about 160 bpm by running slightly slower than I have been then that will keep me at the top end of Z4 (still anaerobic for sure) rather than up in the flat out region of Z5.  My theory is that this will give me a chance to complete the 3 minute run interval.  I’ll keep trying to regulate my breathing and cadence with long deep breathes as a focal point for my mind. In for 3 strides, out for 3 strides.

Towards the end of the programme I am hoping that I will have improved my fitness sufficiently that I can run (even at a slow pace) while maintaining a HR in Z3 (which is aerobic).  That is, my cardio respiratory system will be efficient enough to maintain a sufficient supply of oxygen to my body to maintain a slow pace without tripping the anaerobic threshold.  Once that happens, ‘time in zone’ becomes the enemy rather than other limiting factors (like knees or muscle fatigue).

Although I have decided not to focus on heart zone training as a methodology for this programme (I am sticking purely to the programme as planned) it is useful information in understanding my own physiology and aids in planning around what is happening to my body as I put it under this stress 3 times a week.  It also lets me regulate my speed down without guilt, knowing that I am aiming to win the war, not just the battle.

It also gives me cool numbers that act as indicators of fitness. But not today. As it turned out I spent a frustrating hour or so trying to get my cycling computer to sync with my pc using the dodgy it interface. No luck and it delayed this post by a couple of days while I fussed about it. But I'm running again today at lunch so I wanted to get this out first

No comments:

Post a Comment