Monday, February 7, 2011

Life in the Slow Lane

Just a very quick blog this morning from my iPhone. I went out for dinner and Billy Connelly show last night so no time to blog.

Yesterday at lunch I went to the local pool and swam 11 laps. 550 metres. Not all at once you understand. My record dorcontinuous swimming is about half a lap. I think I made another insight into technique. Every now and again for a few metres I managed to breathe almost like I knew what I was doing.

It's a fine thing that I can make these discoveries myself because the whole swim school issue has not been resolved. To recap, the swim school gave my spot away to some one else while I was IN the freaking class. The swim school lady was suitably embarrassed and apologetic and so I am on a waiting list with no readily identifiable possible outcome.

Excuses are to be found everywhere however, and I chose not to be constrained by this setback. So i went to the pool to swim laps. Those of you who are like me find it takes a great deal of willpower to get out the door to exercise but find it uplifting once you've done it. Think of that feeling and multiply it by 100. Hold that thought.

I am at work with lots to do saying "just do it! Get off your butt and go to the pool. Make the damn time!" So I do. I walk to the pool and what do I find instead of whatever it was my mind was afraid of? Blue skies, warm sun, green grass, and warm crystal waters. Not only was it not as bad as my sabotaging mind was making me believe. It was 1000 times better than staying in the office. I can't wait until my next lunch time pool session.

LESSON: don't let your mind sabotage you out of a truly joyous experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment